The league is organized and operated under the direction & rules of the National Soccer Association for Youth (SAY).
1) How are players assigned to a team?
Players are assigned randomly by a blind draw in accordance with SAY rules.
2) Can my child be placed on a team with a neighbor or friend? What about for carpooling reasons?
No. By National SAY requirements, all players are assigned at random to ensure no intentional advantage to any one team. The only players that are assigned to teams are the son or daughter of the Coach, and the 1st Assistant Coach. At the leagues discretion and to facilitate the dispersal of sponsors, the child(ren) of a sponsor may be assigned to a team if requested in writing prior to the draft. Sponsors may not request a specific coach or pairing of children. Our carpooling criteria is the players’ home must be greater than 20 miles distance to the field location. This encompass players from the Wausaukee, Crivitz, Wallace, Stephenson, & Daggett areas.
3) Can I request a certain coach for my child?
No, again this might lead to an unfair team advantage. However, you may request NOT to have one specific coach if it is approved by the league President. The request must be made at the time of registration and in writing. A notification on the bottom of the players registration form will comply with this requirement.
4) Why do I need a birth certificate at registration?
First year players need their birth certificate to verify age.
5) How is age of my child determined?
Your child’s age is determined by age on July 31st. A child must be 4 by July 31 of the current year to be eligible for our youngest division (U6).
6) Can my son or daughter play in the next older age group (Play Up)?
We recommend against this but you may submit a request including the reason at the time of registration and in writing to the MMYSA President. It is subject to review & approval by the board.
7) Can I get the exact days my child will play?
Game days are Monday through Thursday with start times of 5:30, 6:15 (u6), 6:30 (u8) or 6:45pm. Your child’s coach will distribute games schedules at their team parent meeting or first practice. Division schedules are also posted to our website.
8) My child’s uniform never fits. How can I request a special sized uniform?
Each team is provided with jerseys in several sizes and based on the age division. If your child requires a larger uniform than those supplied at their age level, notify a volunteer at registration to request a special size and make sure this request is noted on the child’s registration form. If a special size is requested after uniforms have been purchased, additional fees may be applied.
9) What if I miss the registration dates?
Unfortunately, the last night of registration is the last night to register. If you miss registration, please contact the Board Secretary at 757-575-7319. Supply your child’s full name, date of birth, gender, your name and contact phone number to be put on a wait list. IF there are applicable roster openings due to player withdrawals, you will be notified of the opening. Prompt completion of the registration and fee payment will then be required. Please note that selection of replacements from the wait list is based on the age & gender opening, not the order of the wait list. Additional fees will be applied for late registrations.
10) What if I have a complaint or protest?
We encourage feedback from our parents on issues they have or situations that have occurred. Formal complaints MUST be made in writing (email) and list the details (include date, division, field, game time) of the situation and who the involved parties were. Contact information for the organizations’ board is available on the web-site www.mmysa.org .
Depending on the persons involved and the nature of the complaint or concern, contact should bemade to the following individuals:
- Applicable Division Representative
- Intro Division (u6-U10) or Central Division (U12-u17) Coordinator
- League President
- Executive Board
Issues regarding referees should be directed to the Chief Referee or Board President. Please note that Judgment calls may not be protested. For example, no official protest may be made concerning the referee’s judgment as to:
- who committed the foul, or whether a foul was intentional or even committed;
- whether a goal was or was not scored;
- which team should be awarded the ball when the ball goes out of play over the goal-lines or the touch-lines;
- allowing or failing to allow an “advantage”, etc.
You may also contact SAY National for rule clarification.
11) How is “All Star” or “Traveling Team” selection performed?
MMYSA is not affiliated with any “All Star, Travel or Select Teams” or any other soccer groups or program in the community. Our only activity is operating a recreational soccer program, May thru July, for the registered participants.